Lloyd Christmas Syndrome or No, I will not go out with you

Why can’t men take hints? I know some women are flattered when a man hits on them or asks them out, even if they are not interested. Not me. I hate it. It makes me uncomfortable 99% of the time. The other 1% of the time, the guy is actually someone I might consider dating. The other 99% is full of creeps and weirdos, men old enough to be my dad, and boys young enough to need me to buy them beer. I am constantly baffled by the fact that they think they have a shot with me. (Not that I think I am hot shit or anything, but, really, Mr. Members Only Jacket?) I have come up with a theory for this. These men suffer from a condition I have coined “Lloyd Christmas Syndrome.”

Image from quickmeme.com

The women are the real victims here. The men who suffer from LCS are incapable of holding up their part of social contracts with the opposite gender.  What does this mean? Most social interactions are governed by a code of conduct, which includes etiquette, body language, and verbal clues. Men with LCS cannot comprehend these subtleties. They bombard innocent women with pick up lines, unwanted drinks, and sometimes unwelcome touching. LCS is categorized as a psychological disorder, because the actions of these men–doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results–mirrors types of insanity.

Although most of the time women do not welcome LCS attacks, they are not without blame when it comes to prevention.Women have been trying for centuries to reject men without hurting their feelings. Someone, somewhere, came up with the phrase “hard to get,” men everywhere heard about women playing hard to get, and LCS spread like wildfire. She won’t look me in the eye? She’s playing hard to get. She has her arms crossed, one eyebrow raised, and the look on her face screams, “You’ve got to be kidding?” She is playing hard to get. She isn’t listening to a word I’m saying, and is that her hand down that other guy’s pants? She must be playing hard to get. I know! I should try harder! I’ll just keep trying  and keep trying and keep on trying, and maybe one day I will wear down her resolve! She will be too weak to say no! I’ll make her want me, I will, I will, I will!

See what I mean about insanity?

LCS is a terrible affliction. It is rampant in settings where women provide customer service. A man with LCS cannot distinguish between when a woman is being nice because it is her job and when she is nice because she wants to bone him. Here’s an easy way to tell. Have you boned her yet? No? Ok, have you talked to her anywhere else besides her work? No? Well, do you know her last name? And it doesn’t count if it’s on her nametag or business card. No? Sorry to break it to you, guys, but she’s just not that into you. The sad thing is, this statement will not faze a man with fully blown Lloyd Christmas Syndrome. He hears this statement, but in his head there is one word added at the end:  She just not that into me yet.

Unfortunately, there is no quick fix to LCS. Even if women stop playing hard to get or start being blatantly honest in their rejections instead of trying to let men down easily, there are still going to be men who just don’t get it. Ladies, the next time one of these men asks you out, remember that you aren’t doing them any favors by being nice. Stand your ground, and say no as many times as you have to. If that doesn’t work, involve the authorities. Even men with LCS understand a restraining order.


7 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. rtdickey79
    Sep 14, 2012 @ 18:34:49

    Priceless, absolutely priceless! Keep them Ccoming. Ps, I am totally stealing LCS!


  2. Trackback: Lloyd Christmas Syndrome or No, I will not go out with you « rtdickey79
  3. grnidelady
    Sep 14, 2012 @ 22:50:30

    I have so missed your blogs. Remember the good ol’ MySpace days? You have inspired me to start writing again. I thoroughly enjoy your style.


  4. tinyirony
    Sep 15, 2012 @ 16:59:32

    I just realized there is a whole paragraph missing from my post! The second paragraph is gone. I don’t remember anything it said except, “Men who suffer from Lloyd Christmas Syndrome, or LCS, have a deficiency of self-awareness and a surplus of balls.” Guess I need to start cutting and pasting from Word so I know my work will be saved. 😦


  5. theimmatureman
    Sep 17, 2012 @ 10:47:20

    All a restraining order means is that they love you too much.


  6. crazymama12
    Oct 03, 2012 @ 15:36:44

    This is so true! In my younger years I got to the point I didn’t accept drinks from guys because I had been called a “tease” one time I had a woman yell at me in a bar because I was “being rude” because I was in a military bar and a soldier asked to buy me a drink and I politely said “no thank you”. My response was you know what, I’m in the military and I came here to hang out with my friends, not to be hit on


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: